Friday, July 19, 2013

CSA Weeks 5 & 6: Slow and Unexciting

I had little to say last week, and figured I'd have more this week, but that hasn't been the case.  Everything from the last two weeks has been eaten, and everything from this week will be eaten this weekend, but I haven't been branching out too much.

Last week's share included:
  • Red leaf lettuce
  • (Oakleaf lettuce) Traded for more turnips
  • Sweet Japanese Turnips
  • Collards
  • Chard
  • Cilantro
  • Green onions
  • A cucumber
  • Summer squashes 
I roasted the turnips with olive oil, salt, & pepper, like the kohlrabi a few weeks back, with similarly delicious results.  Lettuce soup occurred again.  Boiled chard.  The collards turned out ok - I cooked them with Trader Joe's chicken sausage because apparently adding meat helps the flavor, but I have yet to master the art of cooking greens slowly without drying them out.  My share partner Chris took the cucumber, squashes, and half the onions.


Then this week, I got:
  • Cucumbers
  • Summer Squashes
  • Japanese Turnips
  • Kale
  • Lettuce
  • Green onions
  • An herb that I think is a form of mint
  • Tomatoes
 I say "I think" because Chris did the pickup this week, due to me being down with some weird illness, and he didn't read the list at pickup.  I say "I got" instead of "we" because he's going away, so he told me to keep everything.  Thus far, I've cooked kale with onions which took a lot of effort and water to keep from drying out while I cooked it.  And I've been snacking on the cucumbers at work.  The rest is waiting for the weekend, when I have visitors coming in.

No comments:

Post a Comment