Tuesday, April 2, 2013

I have to go shopping


For the record, this is not an I-love-shopping, closet-full-of-clothes-but-nothing-to-wear, fashionista 'have to'.  This is an oh-crap-I-don't-fit-in-my-clothes-anymore 'have to'.

Over spring break I went back to my parents house, and I cleaned out nearly everything that I had left in my closet.  I brought a few old summer clothes that still fit back to NYC, but nearly everything in the closet was dressy/business casual clothes or summer clothes.  Then, on Saturday, I partially went through my closet here.  And lo and behold, I filled another big bag with pants, sweaters, and skirts that don't fit me because I've lost 25+ pounds since the last time I wore them.  There are probably at least a dozen more items that should go, and they will when I lose a little more weight.

There's no option here - I can't just wear something a little loose or a little tight, and go on with my time.  This is skirts with waistbands that just fall from where they're supposed to sit, even with elastic.  It's shirts that hang loose where they used to skim curves.  I know enough about fashion to be embarrassed about wandering out looking baggy. 

Meep.

Help.

I don't like shopping.  Fashion is mostly a mystery to me.  I feel awkward being the jeans-and-tshirts/sweaters girl everywhere I go, and I'd like to fix that, but that requires money, time, and clothing sense.

My closet is forcing me into spending that money and time.  And to spend wisely, I've somehow got to gain some clothing sense. 

I'm looking into a capsule/minimalist wardrobe.  Both for time/money/space reasons and because city living seems to have an affect on my waistline without a lot of effort on my part.  I foresee some more weight loss coming this summer and I don't want to buy a whole new wardrobe now that I might have to toss out in 6 months.  Plus, since I'm going to try to do most of the shopping at thrift stores, the fewer items I need to hunt for, the better.

So right now I'm trying to come up with an outline for my personal style (!?!) and a list of items to make up a summer wardrobe.

Then I just need to find a patient friend to keep me sane while shopping.  Hoo boy.

3 comments:

  1. I've always been able to find patient friends to take me shopping. Some of them even enjoy thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you've been taking great care of yourself! Doing that during the first year of grad school just adds to the degree of difficulty points. Good for you!

    For me, Itry hard to hold off shopping between October and May, because all my favorite "stores" ( = yard sales) are shut down then. The good news if you can hang on until yard sale season is that it's really easy to find clothes for women who are fit -- all the women who are gaining weight sell off their too-small clothes, still in great condition!

    G'luck to you! I'm sad I'm so far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try to wait a little bit - I will probably hit Goodwill this weekend though, because I need a dress for church (I just got signed up to usher in a few weeks, and I can get away with my jeans when I'm sitting in the congregation, but not walking around during service). Although, I'm not sure how yard sales work in the city. There's no yards, and barely any sidewalk space, so I need to do some research.

      Delete